Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chelsea Art Walk


This July has been hotter than most and I've been particularly fortunate to have exhibition opportunities heat up.  Just back from installing art in New Hampshire last week, I'm working on preparing pieces that I'll be showing during the Chelsea Art Walk on July 25th. This is the fourth annual Art Walk that features extended hours for galleries plus open studios throughout the Chelsea area.

I have a modest project space in Ayn S Choi's recently opened Gallery 304 at 526 W 26th street where I'll be showing recent woodblock prints.  I'll be at the gallery from 5pm until 8pm. Works by Eugene J Martin are also on display and I'm honored to be sharing wall space.

Two of the prints relate to an ongoing collaborative effort that combines Exquisite Corpse writing with images to provide alternative endings to the unfinished novel Mount Analogue by Rene Daumal.  René Daumal was a French spiritual para-surrealist writer and poet, most known for this posthumously published novel that used mountain climbing as a metaphor for spiritual quests.  The novel ends in mid-sentence and for several years a small group of artists have contributed to the Analogue Narratives blog with their thoughts and images.  The two moku hanga woodcuts I have on display relate to my recent contributions to this project.

All four parts of the Photobooth Kabuki series that I've blogged about over the last couple of months is finally editioned.  All four will be on display along with the black key blocks that begin each print.  The Photobooth Kabuki pieces were inspired by purikura photo booth machines that come with edit­ing screens so you can dec­o­rate and cus­tomize your photo after it is taken.  This ability to bring Photoshop abilities to a photo booth to make your eyes larger, nose smaller, perfect skin, more anime and add captions led me to redo my own photo booth picture by adding bits and pieces from Utagawa Kuniyoshi's warriors and kabuki actors to my features.

Photobooth Kabuki 1 - ©William Evertson 2013

No comments: