Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lazy Summer?


Wish You Were Here - digital manipulation of photograph - evertson ©09

** Lazy summer days? Not a chance! this is the summer of too many irons in the fire and studio time has taken backseat to long neglected projects and promotion. But the work of art is not standing still and continues on slow boil. September is right around the corner and I have artwork in several group shows.

The Emily Harvey Gallery is home to the "A Book About Death" project. Organized by Matthew Rose, this group exhibit invited artists to contribute a page to an "unbound book" on the subject of death. The exhibit is both homage to artist Ray Johnson and tribute to the late Emily Harvey. All "pages" are in postcard format and each artist has produced an edition of 500 cards to be given away over the course of the exhibit. My piece is a reproduction of my digital work "Wish You Were Here". The postcard has been modified to contain an enclosure for my short story Text Messages From The Dead. The show opens September 10th and runs through September 22nd at Emily Harvey Gallery at 537 Broadway, NYC. The A Book About Death blog has previews of the art as well as downloadable posters for the exhibition. The ABAD wall is viewable as a slide show.


Eclipse Gallery - Contemporary Art and Handmade Design

The recently opened Eclipse Gallery is hosting an exhibition called 50/50/50. Fifty artists representing fifty states in fifty different media. The exhibit is curated by Sarah Elizabeth Condon, artist and owner of Eclipse. I will be representing Connecticut with one of my digital collages created in Photoshop. The gallery, located in Algoma, Wisconsin, is dedicated to contemporary art and handmade design. The exhibition runs from September 15th through the end of the year. A visit to the Eclipse website will provide a nice overview of Sarah's completed vision of establishing a venue for exhibiting the work of evocative contemporary artists.

Artist Jennifer Zoellner has spent the last year soliciting and organizing an exhibition of Mail Art. The exhibit, titled Chromatophore, opens September 27th at Studio 620 in St. Petersburg, Fl. Photos of the mixed media piece I submitted was featured in my recent post on July 30. Be sure to visit Jennifer's blog to preview some of the great snail mail pieces included in this exhibit. The opening includes US postal artifacts, live music and interactive art activities.

Finally, I will be exhibiting a variety of my digital collages at the Glastonbury, CT. "On the Green" show. The open air exhibit is Sept. 12th and 13th and features juried artists from throughout New England.


Sun Holding Moon - For Rachel - evertson ©09

I've been exchanging more and more Mail Art with contacts from across the web. A recent post featured art received from Rachel Freeman. The piece I returned to her was a small silver solder work that continues to explore freehand "drawing and writing" with this molten media.


Mail Art received from Ria Vanden Eynde
with instructions to modify and pass on to another artist.

Last, but not least. I received mail art from artist Ria Vanden Eynde of Belgium. Ria has asked me to colaborate on the piece then pass it on. I've been procrastinating a few days until a few of my other projects were under control. Last night I started sketching out a few ideas for my contribution. I'll post my alterations to the 10" x 10" piece above when I finish. Ria's work can be found on her blog, Painting 2 Cancers. Ria's blog documents her artistic work as a survivor of both breast and thyroid cancer. Her output and insights are inspirational!

3 comments:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Great blog post...and also an excellent reminder! I'll be getting my postcards for the Book about Death done this weekend! Thanks!
Susan

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

Interesting to read what irons are in the fire here ;)+ Can't wait to see what you come up with & what'll happen to the piece next. Hehe-

William Evertson said...

Thanks Susan and I can't wait to see what you submit; looks like you've been a ball of creative five this summer.
Hi Ria - This could almost be your summer as well since you are in ABAD, Chromatophore and we are collaborating on a piece :)