Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ironing Picasso


_Woman Ironing - William Ironing

_While working on the Dream Rocket quilt square, Karen took some pictures of me; when we downloaded them, one in particular looked familiar. It took a second look and a bit of googling but sure enough in bearing down to press a hem into one of the fabric appliqué pieces I came to resemble Picasso’s Woman Ironing. (Minor cropping required) From smarthistory - There is an old anecdote that tells of Picasso, who, upon emerging from an exhibition of drawings by young children, says, “When I was their age I could draw like Raphael, but it took me a lifetime to learn to draw like them.” This link also shows a nice comparison of this work to a Degas.
Sometimes I wonder how weeks pass so fast. This past week was one of those. Too many projects and not enough focus?…hours in the day? Travel the last two weekends meant a bit of catching up on the banal but necessary list of household to do items. So it was actually with a sigh of relief that I found that my Dream Rocket panel has some extra time for completion. Good news for others as well as coordinator Jennifer Marsh has extended the submission deadline until March 15th.

Saturn V outside the Space and Rocket Center

_Some other news on this project: smaller 1 x 1 sq. ft. squares are now available and best of all is that Marsh is organizing several venues for the display of quilt squares after display on the Saturn V in Huntsville this summer. The Earlyworks Children’s Museum in Huntsville as well as Eclipse Gallery in Algoma, WI are two of the post Space Museum locations already on board. Jennifer will soon announce what international locations will be displaying the works.
Since two of my previously posted works are in openings this week - a recap!

Several panels from my accordion style book in the Sketchbook Library ©2009

_This Friday is the opening of the Sketchbook Library Project in Atlanta. This will be the first in a series of travels for this project. It shows up in Brooklyn during February as well as a visit to Los Angeles, St. Louis and Chicago. The project will finally reside in the Brooklyn Art Library as part of the Art House Co-op permanent collection. Bar codes identify the volumes, which are searchable by artist.


Digital collage on exhibit in Brazil at MuBE during February ©2009

_February 3rd is the opening in São Paulo, Brazil of Um Livro Sobre Morte. Brazilian artist Angela Ferrara, whom I met through working on the A Book About Death project, has been organizing this show for MuBE (Museu Brasileiro da Escultura). Angela has been documenting new submissions to this expanded version of the original exhibit first installed this past fall at Emily Harvey Gallery in NYC.
Angela has been at work for several months now organizing this version of the A Book About Death. Since many new artists have submitted works, Angela has had her hands full with documentation, archiving and posting these to the exhibition site. Many thanks Angela. Plus gratitude to Matthew Rose for the original conception.

11 comments:

Lynne with an e said...

How ironic (pun intended), life imitating art imitating life.

Your musing on "too many projects not enough focus" describes very well how things are around my studio as well.

Great to see so much energy originating from you now being generated out in the world.

Sarah Hemm said...

love the pic of you ironing. I'm doing an ironing zine right now--would you like to be included in it? if so just email me. I am also glad that Jennifer is extending the deadline for the rocket--I am excited too because I am going to have an exhibition at Eclipse of some of the rocket panels but I can't say when yet. Unfortunately, I never had time to complete my sketchbook for the Art House project though!!

William Evertson said...

I'm actually surprising myself by completing things of late To often I get 75% and start something else.

Rocket panels at Eclipse sounds great. I saw you were having some quilt nights at the gallery. Can't wait to see Jennifer's project complete.

jafabrit said...

A lot of exciting things, and man, it has got to feel good to know where your work is traveling and going to be exhibited. I agree with louciao. I love the ironing pic :) I saw Picasso's painting in the real in a major DC exhibit, and OOOOOOOOOh it was LOVELy to behold.

Patricia said...

Wonderful post. My favorite Picasso attributed quote came after he was invited to visit the caves at Lacaux.
Supposedly he emerged ecstatic and uttered, "We have invented nothing".

Debrina said...

Hey Bill - it is amazing how time flies, isn't it? I'm so busy I haven't been able to catch up till now on all my favourite bloggers!
Well, I just love the juxtaposition of the woman and the man ironing (yes, I know it's you); there is quite a profound statement in this juxtaposition - and not perhaps, just from a feminist point of view.
You seem, to me, an incredibly prolific artist - so refreshing to see one so dedicated and passionate about an idea and it's exploration.

William Evertson said...

I'm trying to remember when we saw that painting and it must have been ages ago at the Guggenheim; since it's in their collection.
Patricia, that is a great quote and isn't it the greatest feeling to remain connected to that thread that extends back so far in time?
Hi Debrina - I didn't even think about the feminist aspect at work here. Feminist wife takes pix of husband ironing. Lol.

Art said...

Wait-- you really didn't pose like that of purpose?

That's quite a resemblance!

William Evertson said...

The pix started out in landscape format so I cropped and sized it to magnify the resemblance.

Caterina Giglio said...

love your ironing picasso!

studio pashnada said...

very similar but you're more attractive than her
:)