Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Rosetta's Gravel


Rosetta's Gravel - Artist Book - First page to left - cover to right - evertson©20010


_I just finished a second accordion book to submit to the Creative Art Workshop’s artist book exhibition. I was reminded how much they function as maps. The folded style is suited to that sort of need for compactness and yet have the ability to stretch out to see the whole journey if necessary.

Rosetta's Gravel - Artist Book - last page toward center - evertson©2010

_My new piece, Rosetta’s Gravel, while not as easily defined as a map, seemed to have other qualities that lent itself to that folding pattern. I was thinking of a dictionary as I began building up the images used for the book. The images are based on the handstamps I’ve been working through placed in grids and assigned “meaning” or associations. The stamp symbols are personal yet many of them have universal aspects to them. They have not been conceived of in a particular order, but are carved as they come; mostly unconsciously.

_I’ve laid them out that way in the book as well. Composed perhaps; as they are not in an alphabetic or thematic order and appear quite jumbled, much the way the desire to make a particular image manifests.
_I began the book by calling it an Apocrypha. Hidden things from the Greek, but also with a subtext of uncertain authority. The last page come from the realization that this collection, in this format is acting more like a musical composition than dictionary.
_The show is juried by renowned book artist Heidi Kyle, whose work I've admired long before I tried my hand at artist books. Keeping fingers crossed on the selection process.



Crude - Multimedia, copper mesh, metal toys and hubcap - evertson©2010

_Another piece, a multi media sculpture, that I began last year finally came to completion. The Landfill Arts hubcap sat on workbench for several months while other projects came and went. Some thoughts on it coalesced last week and I finished it and shipped it to Ken Marquis who curates the project. Other posts on this piece.
_Ken has a wonderful site set up for viewing the submissions to this project. This link takes you to the beginning of the slides. Mine is on page 11.

8 comments:

Debrina said...

Hi Bill - this all looks very exciting! I wish you the very best of luck for both submissions. The first is of particularly interest to me, so I am going to check your link out. I love your book, it's fantastic. How did you print it?

William Evertson said...

Thanks Debrina - I started with high res scans of the original pages. I used Moab's Estrada rag for both the original and for printing. I print using a Cannon 3800 which uses pigmented inks. The cover is book cloth that is prepared with digital ground.

Caterina Giglio said...

Best of luck with your submissions... awesome work!

jafabrit said...

the book looks absolutely fantastic, and I don't mean just visually. It's gorgeously put together. Keeping my fingers, toes and my lazy eye crossed for your submission. ☺

and YES, you have the hubcap done. Boy I wish I could see it in the real, looks really intriguing.

Amelia said...

wow - I love the book and am off to check out the art workshops link. I have been discovering more and more wonderful creativity on the net and I've just discovered your work here.

I will be back.

Amelia.x
www.101birdtales.blogspot.com

William Evertson said...

Thanks Corrine - Lol - can you work "lazy eye" into an embroidery somehow?
@ Amelia - Thank you for the visit and kind words :-)

Art said...

Hey I remember that tire! How cool to see it finished. It worked out nicely, and the book I'm crazy over.

Seth said...

Both the book and the sculpture are both so interesting. So distinct but both compelling.