Friday, June 13, 2008

Maze


First off - Thanks to everyone for holding my hand through my own hand wringing
of late.  "Art Contemplations" took a back seat for awhile.  I was wrestling with
some thorny personal preferences.  I should know better.  I've made the decisions
that place me here and now.  I pursued art; gave up on it once and am back for 
a second round.  Trouble is, these rounds last years.  If you have followed this blog
for awhile you must realize my infatuation with Zen koans.  Of late my life 
seems to encompass "The great way is not difficult if you just don't pick and
choose." (Sengcan)  It's difficult to accept where you are, especially if it's 
not where you want to be.  If I look back, I realize I am here.  Everything
leads to this place. Every decision from the time I was able to make decisions.
I link to Horse Wisdom  because whether we are talking horses, art or life; we 
are speaking about a mindful life - full of the unexpected - full of love.
My work today is far removed from this picture.  This is an installation piece
where I created  a maze to follow to the main gallery.   Thank you for curators
who are open to the new. I need to find a few more.

9 comments:

sandy said...

Well Bill...it's all NOW and you must be in the right place. Making known the unknown is a difficult place to be unless you let go and allow all that is going on to reveal itself.

I personally am growing accustomed and fond of the not knowing place.

all the best to you. Wherever you find yourself, I can tell, you will do beautiful art because everything I see you do resonates with me.

sandy

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a great concept, Bill! love the idea of a labyrinth leading into the gallery... so many jumping off points come to mind with a project like that...

Things usually never happen at the speed we all wish they would! and it is very hard to wait for Slow and Steady winning the race... ironically, at other times we wonder where did all the time go!!

there is always the yin and yang of everything... so much to consider...

Always keep your heart in what you are doing and you can't go wrong...

William Evertson said...

Thanks Sandy - i love your commentary. I am curious about your fondness of 'not knowing place', can you elaborate? Gwen - as usual I love your comments.

sandy said...

Oh..it's a long boring story, hahaha.!!!

I'd bore the heck out of ya...

Nader Shenouda said...

Hi Bill, its amazing how you are always innovating in your work!!! the labyrinth is great reminds me of Kafka's world where you seem time has stopped.
Oh and by the way very nice comment about the Bull's eye it made me think if it really exists or is it just human interpratation.

William Evertson said...

Doudy - I love your comment. Plus I had to jump back and forth from your comment to the original post to remember my thoughts. I think when we see or are impressed by something we put it center stage; when in reality there are many images/ideas/mental constructs that need attention in a composition. How we deal with these define us as artists. best Bill

Victoria Cummings said...

Bill - I tried to leave a comment twice last night, but I don't think you got either - Blogger glitches! So, here I go again - Thanks for the kind reference to me and my girls. I think all of us have times when it's hard to accept what's going on and go into the unknown- so, please don't give up - Your work has great meaning and as a friend of mine who is a famous artist likes to say, "Art is just a boy's name."

sarahelizabeth said...

the only moment you have is right now, so make the best of it :) I love the maze concept A LOT!

mansuetude said...

hi:

followed over from Gwen's blog; i seem to follow her a lot lately. She has good blog taste :) !

the image on this post is so much to me like the image on the post above it--both referencing monks (both conscious of man and issues of freedom or walls of Nature holding man in.)

I think the comment you make about dialogue based in Love, that is where life radiates. Just follow the love tool. It knows how to use its own inner hand to make life. Rilke, the poet says, "Remember. Life is in the right, always."

Its just hard (being able to think ahead and think behind) to remain at peace in the now. We are, as you say, like monks, all of us --learning or not.

Sweet day ahead to you.