Wednesday, June 25, 2008


I had this great idea after posting on Victoria's Horse Wisdom site.
Follow her example and make a post about my work space. Hers' is
serene, mine chaos. I thought what a great counterpoint. So, of 
course the blogging demon has been screwing with my attempts to 
post. I just hope this is the last time I'm going to reconstruct this
train of thought. My studio-just a computer and a window to
stare out of. A printer, scanner, a slide to digital converter and 
a chair. But, I'm out of control in the picking up after projects
department. Just scroll down and you will see that all is not 
serene with the guy who loves a great zen meditation.


Now, the table is an heirloom.  Made by my great-great
grandfather. Passed down and restored when my son and I 
stripped the original finish which turned very soft in the 
summer humidity and exposed the wonderful chestnut
underneath. But, I confess when I run out of space I
turn to the dining room table. This time to make a quick 
sign for a friend. I can't paint letters to save my life.



My shop is no better-total chaos after two back to back
projects; there is no time to clean and pick up.


A further example of my lack of discipline, the basement.
I haven't picked up my workspace here since getting ready 
for the art fair. This is the area I use for matting and shrink-wrapping.

5 comments:

Victoria Cummings said...

Even though Art is just a boy's name, there's an artistic award for you waiting over at my blog. By the way, my space is only serene because the photos were taken at 6 am. Your clutter indicates that you have a full, active life.

William Evertson said...

Thanks Victoria-I'll have to check this out. But even tomorrow this place will not seem serene because I've just signed up for press time at Wesleyan. I feel the need to add letterpress. I think the deck Karen wants us to build will have to be subbed out.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Looks like the home of a wonderful creative soul... and it is not messy at all... as far as I am concerned..

Hard to work on things when everything is all neatly put away...It does look lovely after a clean up... for while...

but when we are worried about messing things we seem to halt our creative spirit...

This is our most busy time of year.. totally hectic... so I can relate about projects that seem to tumble on top of others... .. Sure is nice to have places we can mess up occasionally though... I liked seeing all yours!!

Wonderful heirloom table!!!

William Evertson said...

Thanks Gwen-although when we have folks over this stuff is gone; Karen makes sure of it. Frankly I hate holidays because I have to pick up and condense my art to one room. Plus, K has her loom room which to my eye seems as chaotic as anything I do. Yes, she sometimes commanders the dining room table for sewing. Still I remain the main culprit on our chaos.

sandy said...

I LOVE getting peeks into others' worlds. Thanks for the tour. I really like that room where the table is. It feels good.