Saturday, June 7, 2008

Over the Top



So how did it go you ask?  Was it worthwhile?  I'm not  sure.
The set up went well and I had a location that was near the entrance.
I was next to one of our towns treasures - Elizabeth Sennentt. (sorry no web presence)  Gorgeous works in oil and watercolor - a local legend and a very gratuitous 
woman.  I didn't sell a single piece.  Yet, I have this nice third place ribbon and
a check for $50.  I had so many people pass asking how these images were 
produced and after explaining - there was still - is that possible look.   Why
should I be afraid?  I've spent eight years learning Photoshop, plus I still 
continue my sumi-e and other traditional techniques.  We went from the 
60's yesterday to over 90 and humid today.  K and I are melted. Time for
some extreme iced wine.




This is my set up.  Praise be to having worked as a framer for so many years.  If I
 had to pay someone to frame all this stuff I'd be in deep crap.  I've been framing,
cutting mats, shrink wrapping and generally not sleeping for the last couple of weeks.  I'm not 
sure if this will pay off, but todays experience was positive.  Even people I'm 
friends with were amazed with the depth of my work (frankly some were unaware
of what I'm up to)  Yieks - I'm so bad at marketing.  The big bright side was my
friend Teri  coming over last night to share some wine and distract K and I for an hour.


  • The piece that caught the judge's eye was my work 'Meltdown' : I don't 
  • think I've published this on my blog to date.  I use elements of this 
  • piece as my logo in the blog world.  The piece derives from a difficult
  • period in my art life.  Art life - what is that?  Thats the point where
  •  art can't possibly pay bills and all the nay sayers are pointing fingers
  • at your decisions.  It was a period in NYC that Karen and I lost three
  • great artist friends within a year.  Leukemia, heroin overdose and a 
  • highway fatality.  Yes, NYC seems the art capitol of the world, but we
  • had to retreat - too much pain.  My piece 'Meltdown' remains a 
  • reflection on these emotions.

10 comments:

jafabrit said...

Meltdown is amazing, but oh what losses that led to that piece arg!!!!!

Congratulations on the ribbon, and the set up looked simple and to the point (when I was in the coop gallery I would see artists cram stuff into their section and it didn't make more sales. If anything it confused the customers).

Mineke Reinders said...

The emotion comes across powerfully in Meltdown, no wonder it caught the judge's eye. Well deserved, congrats on the prize.

It sounds like your experience this weekend was a bit mixed. The setup looks great, and you put in a lot of work, I'm glad to hear people were appreciative of your work. I've never done fairs, but find gallery openings exhausting - I can only imagine what it's like to have that for two days, part of it in 90 degree weather. Have some of that ice wine - cheers!

William Evertson said...

Thanks Corrine and Mineke! I guess I must have issues with that piece or I would have posted it earlier in my blogging career. At the time when I created it, I was revisiting Frida Kahlo's work. For years I worked in a NYC gallery as a framer and had worked on a few of her works as well as those of Diego Rivera and Francisco Zuniga, but the torment of Kahlo's art led me to some exploration of things I had lost. I'm glad I had let some years pass but now it was time to revisit a tormented time. I set myself up in front of a 'green screen' and put the camera on time delay - trying to get back into that time period. I went back through old journals trying to find passages that made some sense. Ultimately, I combined, stretched, distorted and found the image I wanted for those feelings. I had to giggle a bit when our judge came back for the fifth time and asked me were the original is. My reply - It exists as 0 and 1's on my hard drive. Oh well I probably should have brought some sumi-e to show that yes I can create without a computer. I never fault the Japanese for their concentration on bamboo, iris chrysanthemum and plum blossom, so I will refrain from commenting on the New England penchant for boats, waterfall, stone walls and old barns. I will try a few more of these shows but I can't see myself changing what I do to fit a market.

jafabrit said...

That is an odd question? where is the original? Or maybe Do you think the juror isn't used to seeing work beyond paintings????

Mineke Reinders said...

Good for you, Bill! The bard said it a long time ago, and it's still good advice: "To thine own self be true."

William Evertson said...

This is a crazy world - I can look at Mienke's work and say "there is a master" Corrine's work is on a different plain but yes She is a master. Corrine's question - can the juror look beyond painting is enlightening. I see in Mineke's work a reverence I reserve for Japanese masters - a talent honed beyond sharp. Corrine - I think you are right - if I'm not looking at a water color or oil how do think about what I'm viewing. This woman did come by at least four times asking questions - certainly some interest in expanding.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Bill it takes a while for people to get the message.. I applaud you for your intense work in preparation and presentation...Artists usually work ahead of the curve and it takes a while for people to accept something unfamiliar to them... I guess we have seen that so many times through the ages...

Artists are here to point the way and open everyones eyes... Stick to what you feel speaks from within yourself... That is honesty...

I do think you have spurred their curiosity...

if it is any help... the first farmers market we ever went to in 1993, we made $39.00... enough for coffee and bagels, our booth fee and the gas to drive back home 1+1/2 hours!!! Persist!

"Meltdown" is brilliant! so much emotion!!! Bravo!!!

William Evertson said...

Thank you Gwen! I think I was waiting for your response as you seem to have the same art history background I'm grounded in. Plus frankly, I knew I wouldn't sell anything, But I did educate. I had a lot of fun in that department. It took years to master sculpture, more to master sumi-e and ukiyo-e and finally photoshop© To most Photoshop is a simple way to improve your snapshot or to put a head on a different body. I have spent 6 years learning this program. Still, I love picking up a brush and painting. A few people walked by thinking these were just photographs - a few painters walked by thinking this is 'just something done on the computer' not realizing I probably spend twice the time on an image as they might painting that stone wall.

jafabrit said...

oh my heavens, if some think it is JUST photoshopped, they obviously haven't tried it, EEK! eek and TREBLE eek!

Oh, yes I am so with Mineke "to thine own self is true".

sandy said...

I LOVE Meltdown. Great great image.

and good for you...third place.

I really enjoyed reading your post.

sandy