Saturday, September 13, 2008

An Old Work



I've been looking over old photos of my early art and thought
some bloggers would be interested in where I was at my beginning. 
Born in a small town in mid-state New York to a family business
of auto body repair. I worked in the shop from age 12, and learned
welding. Thank God I excelled in school and got a scholarship. I 
started in business but quickly found art. Much to my family's
distress. My work in the shop lead me on a path of large welded
 sculptures. But times change and now my canvas is different.






A very minimal approach - concentrating on structure.  This work 
consists of three one inch thick steel plates holding a concrete 
wedge. This work was part of an exhibit at the Arnot Museum 
in the 70's. Got a $500 dollar prize for best new work, but not
the collection prize. 

2 comments:

sarahelizabeth said...

Wow! So great to hear about your history and see that great sculpture! I love it, wish I could have seen it in person. So what made you change directions from sculpture to now? Great post and thanks for sharing.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Bill, I'm so glad you posted this.. I didn't know that you grew up with welding in your blood.. Nothing wrong with a talent like that.. beautiful!!!