Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Checks in the Mailart


"Wish You Were Here" postcard containing short story ©evertson 09

Well, not a check but my postcards that are on their way to
The Emily Harvey Foundation for this falls exhibition of
"A Book About Death" an unbound book about death. The
exhibit opens September 10th in NYC and runs through the
22nd of Sept. If you follow the A Book link you will be able
to watch the ongoing contributions to the exhibit as it
continues to evolve over the summer. Follow the Emily
link to find her all too short but fascinating biography as
well as information about the foundation.


Insert of my story Text Messages From the Dead is included with the postcard


My short story Text Messages From the Dead is included in the
postcard. Yes, the postcard has a 'secret' compartment.

The project, originated by artist Matthew Rose, draws inspiration
from the late Ray Johnson. His unbound "book" was mailed to his
New York Correspondence School "students". The global nature
of the exhibition is a reflection of Ray's influence in the realms of
performance, mail art and Fluxus.


Back of postcard for an unbound book about death evertson 09

A visit to the A Book site is a constantly evolving visual
treat. P.S. any fb members can join both the A Book About
Death group or the Ray Johnson page.
For me this was a
wonderful opportunity to excise a few demons concerning
the untimely deaths of loved ones and honor the
contributions of an exceptional art pioneer.

Peace

7 comments:

Art said...

It's nice to know more about the exhibition, and I found your work on the Book About Death blog! Good for you, #38!

William Evertson said...

I hope the show rates a Ravels review ;)

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

Yep, it looks great! I love the colors and the image you used. I love the way the hands seems to "flow" in a "white light"-3d-background I tend to associate with dying (maybe that's just me), it has something eery that way that draws me in, although, I don't think I want to "be there," as I already mentioned elsewhere ;-) Great tension in the image that way! And soon I'll be able to see it close-up. Thx!

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Thanks for the comment on my blog...but more importantly...thanks for leading me to Book About Death blog. In addition to the Decision Portrait Series, I'm also working on a Grave Rubbing Series of art quilt and an installation of free motion embroidered epitaphs. This project is one I'll into more deeply...so thanks!
Suasn

William Evertson said...

You are welcome and I hope you decide to participate in ABAD. The grave rubbings sound intriguing, I'll travel over to your blog to visit some more. Very thoughtful work, I'll post a link perhaps others can find you also.

CB said...

hELLO THERE! i AM THE ONE IN THE eMILY HARVEY fOUNDATION RECEIVING THE CARDS AND KEEPING THEM ALL IN ORDER! i LOVE LOVE LOVE HOW YOU DID THE ENVELOPES - DID YOU GLUE THEM ALL BY HAND? Say it ain't so!
Wonderful! Cathie Borrie
www.cathieborrie.com
cathieborrie@gmail.com

William Evertson said...

Thanks Cathie - I admit to temporary insanity and hand glued 500 cards. Keep them safe - hope to see you at the opening.