Saturday, June 6, 2009

More "A Book About Death"


Production facility for "A Book About Death" postcard

I swear it was Karen who had the wine not me when she suggested
I include the short story that accompanies my "A Book About Death"
postcard. The moral is if you don't want criticism, don't show your
work. My prototype was all ready with a front and back; I just needed
to post it to the printers site. The back has an address to my blog where
the story is available. Karen in her infinite wisdom points out that you
can't just put your finger on the postcard and hyperlink your way
anywhere. I knew she was right; the image and story are two sides
of the coin, canvas and paint; both are equal and integral to the
project. While the story is short, it was still too long to print on
the card. I had the front and back shipped to me and I'm sitting
and glueing them on three sides and inserting a copy of the story.
Only 350 to go as Karen glides by with her riesling and says, "since
when have you ever listened to good advice?"


Shiva and Kali battle Space Invaders ©evertson '81
pastel and gold leaf on paper

Before my postcards arrived I was continuing to rebuild the
last few files from my hard drive crash. I came across the
piece above. I'll keep that seemingly endless and addicting
game in mind as I finish up the cards this weekend. 349, 348,
347.....

11 comments:

Art said...

Oh gosh. Isn't free labor what family is for?

I would try mentioning that, then doing big puppy eyes and complaining of ghastly paper cuts.

William Evertson said...

it worked! Except K asked why I had this look like a shar-pei in distress. Perhaps I need work on puppy dog eyes?

Owen said...

Looks like you have your work cut out for you this weekend... but in a good cause, right ?

William Evertson said...

230,229,228... Labor of love because the "A Book About Death" tribute is to one of my influences. You should make a submission; you have some fitting imagery.

jafabrit said...

I loved your card (thanks), it was really interesting and powerful. I really liked the concept of a story sandwiched between two cards.

I bet you will be totally sick of doing them, but oh! so worth it :)

jafabrit said...

says I coz I don't have to do it ;)

William Evertson said...

Glad I've gone the extra mile otherwise it would be like marmite without the toast ;)

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

Ay, still, I'm with 'JafaBrit's Art'-comment: I'm sure it must have been worth it, a card with a story- insert, hey, that's cool!!!

William Evertson said...

I'll send you one if you like :)

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

That'd be fantastic, thx so much! I'll go mail my address :)

MATTHEW ROSE said...

Thank you Bill for contributing not only a wonderful piece, an art work in itself, but also for holding this ongoing conversation with your friends about the project and the process in thinking about and making the cards. People like you are making this a great project that everyone will enjoy...and I hope benefit from...

All the best,

Matthew