Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Oil - Big Oil


sketch book images

** Starting to take a few of my sketches for the Landfill Arts hubcanvas out for a stroll today. Like most of my work I've only got a direction I'm headed in rather than a great map. I mentioned in a previous post that I decided instead of a piece about my narrative vis a vis autos this mixed media work would be about oil. Oil and maybe BIG oil; I'm not that sure. We love our oil and it's refined sister gas. It gets us where we're going and we scarcely can imagine what we would have to change to live without our dependence on the substance. But... getting to this piece is all about exploring but the more I explore I find that while Big oil is a convenient subject there are many small hands in this issue as well.



mocking up hubcanvas

** The many hands theme is manifesting as small copper mesh hands that I am fabricating. I also remembered a train set I had many moons ago with a working oil derrick and pump. Sure enough they could be found on eBay. Only now they are collector items; not the kind of thing one would destroy to make art with, or would I? So I find myself on eBay looking for a real crappy version of this Lionel oil rig. Not being an eBay aficionado it takes a few bidding wars with train memorabilia collectors before I get what I'm looking for. So today I get to start mocking up the piece with my copper hands and my new oil rig toys.

** Todays bonus feature is the new and improved link to the A Book About Death webpage.

http://abookaboutdeath.net/ New artists, slideshow view and links to artist's sites and soon to come information about the webcast and programs during the opening.

3 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

I've been out of town and out of the loop for a while - enjoyed reading your recent posts: all thought-provoking in one way or another. Loved the story about you trying to find a "crappy" version of the train set with oil derrick on E-Bay. Your post about the latest headlines in the news was sobering. The Murrow quote is right on target. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

William Evertson said...

Thanks Mineke: my eBay experience was rather humorous. I'm the high bidder until the last several seconds then poof! The Michael Jackson death just brings home the extent to which we are obsessed by celebrity.

Owen said...

Interesting, looking for art components on e-bay... just goes to show how integral a part of our lives the internet has become... I wonder if anyone is selling any artistic inspiration on e-bay as well ?

Glad you liked the Royal Typewriter piece, that book was a trip. And speaking of oil and gas, apparently one of the three people who participated in the Royal Road Test was a guitar player from... Classical Gas. Seems he's the one who heaved the typewriter.