Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hand ᔓtamp


Finished Hand Stamps

_As I work through my ongoing Hand ᔓtamp project, I go back and forth on their nature. Sometimes they seem to be a commodity but more often they seem to have an art nature. I suppose this does come down to my intent and I do tend to intellectualize things that may just as well fall into the realm of practicality. I've explained how I simply started with a single hand that I carved initials into the bottom of to act as a personal signature for work. This led to the idea of making other chops as symbol for addenda to drawings. a second thought, more information, the tangent created in the origin.
Yet they are simply nice compact art objects in themselves. I probably will offer some up for sale and post those in my blog side bar. Alternately, I have a feeling that there is more I want to develop in this. As I've researched chops and seals, I've been overwhelmed by the number of rubber stamp companies offering complex and relatively inexpensive stamps. Many of these seem to target a craft audience. They seem widely available in shops and online.
In contrast I've also been humbled by the intricacy of many oriental stamps. I've also been humbled by the complexity of stamps produced by mail artists for use in their work.

TAM Rubber Stamp Archive is a blog curated by Rudd Janssen in the Netherlands and documents this art form from the early 1980's on. While Rudd archives and offers publications many of these personal stamps are rarely seen except by other mail artists.

Lancillotto Bellini is another artist whose work in rubber stamps is quite extrodinary. the following video is a brief overview of Lancillotto's work; a worthwhile side trip to see his very personal stamp portraits.


I wrote last post about free association in letting design manifest and how it ran in series, yet this past week my carvings have been along the line of opposites and dualities. While I'm not exactly carving the ubiquitous yin yang yet I did do order and chaos and a sun and moon. I may need some non-duality carvings for a while as they seem somehow more profound or internalized in groupings.


CHAOS/ORDER stamps - ©evertson 09

As I work on the plaster miniatures, they are becoming more like art objects rather than a commercial or utilitarian product. I can start to envision them evolving a bit from my original thoughts. I think of my own hands. Once a child's; untested and unblemished; now middle aged, calloused and scarred. Alternately strong and fragile; having physical memories of all the things they have touched. The memories that have shaped my hands... their own patina somehow beyond my mental construct of how they got this way.


Hand ᔓtamps after hardener and wax - experiments with paper and cloth visible to left - ©09

The hand stamps began formless, as simple white powder - plaster. Mixed with water and placed in a mold. Yet somehow they come out unique. I use a petroleum jelly for a mold release; even thinly applied they give each hand a unique accidental skin. an ultimately uncontrollable series of swirls and fingerprints and tiny air pockets that despite any pretense I have at uniformity they become as individual as you and I. A mix of play and chance. Their skin needs protection and I apply a resin hardener to toughen the fine grain of the plaster underneath. (The dust we come from?) I mix and apply pigmented waxes and they come out aged - different - reflections of their symbol and the beginning of their journeys.

IN THE POST:

My Belgian friend Ria has been busy with mail art and I've received a new picture from her. This time an original drawing that she requests I "do something with it". Her drawing "Samsara" concerns itself with the Buddhist concept of suffering through our continuous grabbing, reaching and futile holding onto what we think will make us happy. She also knows that for months I've included hands in my work. perhaps by my next post I'll have my "additions" ready to show her.


Ria Vanden Eynde - "Samsara" - pencil on paper

Jennifer Zoellner sent a large package that completely baffled me when I picked it up. What a delight!! Jennifer painted a wooden paddle with her intricate and iconic doll imagery to produce this fascinating piece. The 16" x 10" paddle has found a place of honor on our mantle. Thank you Jennifer for this major piece of work.


Jennifer Zoellner - Paddle - 2009

12 comments:

Lynne with an e said...

"Let's have a show of hands" takes on a whole new concept!

jafabrit said...

Do you use a regular ink pad for the stamp?
I am finding your whole journey with these fascinating.
Squeaky is going on the tree (more about that another day).s

William Evertson said...

A large cast Louciao ;) Jafa, I don't use an ink pad but rather use seal paste. I got mine from Oriental Art Supply. Although I don't see why a regular pad wouldn't work fine. I'll be watching for Squeeky.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I am mesmerized by these hands... and the what, where, when, and how of it all... what treasures you are creating... and I like even better that you have made them Functional Art...

Debrina said...

Hello Bill - I found you via Squeaky the Mouse. Jafa girl, fortunately, revealed Squeaky's maker, so I had to go and check out "The Creator". Well, lovely to meet you and when are you putting these stamps up in Etsy? I'll be first on the list.
Do hurry.
Debrina
PS. good to meet a fellow mail art appreciator too.

Jennifer Kosharek said...

Bill, you are a ray of sunshine!!

Owen said...

To pick up where Louciao left off, I gotta hand it to you Bill, hands down, this is a cool post and cool hand luke couldn't have handled it any better...

Encore ! You deserve a big hand for this one !

William Evertson said...

Thanks Gwen - I have much more appreciation of the small scale you use for your works.
Hi Debrina - I'm glad you found the blog (and I yours - I'll add a link to you). Still inner debating Esty - have to stay tuned ;)
Wee-Hoo - I love that paddle painting!!!
Hi Owen - I wonder if I'll see one of your photo essays containing hands anytime soon?

Debrina said...

Hello Bill - I was just about to hit the sack when I saw you sneak in on my blog at leave your follower's footprint. Thank you so very much for giving me the heads up on your blog! I feel VERY honoured!
Someone by the name of Seth Apter has been trying to contact you, too. He's doing the most amazing altered book project called 2nd Hand. He WANTS one of your hands! I hear you on the "commodity" front though. Also, about the "Etsy" thing...if you can't part with these wonderous objects, I shall have to come over there and break into your studio and steal them! Prepare yourself...I'm coming over from New Zealand. I can't afford a plane ticket, so I shall have to blow up my rubber dingy and paddle over. I may be some time... however, I thought I better warn you!

jill Z said...

Wow, found your blog from Seth Apter's Inspiration Station side bar. What a great selection he made in showcasing you and your work. Just love your post on your hand stamps, learning all about them, the process in making them etc. Just wonderful!

Poetic Artist said...

I just found your blog through another blogger. I love your stamps. I am a collector of hands.
I have been collecting hands for too long to mention..I will visit you often and your blog is truly a joy to visit.
Katelen

Caterina Giglio said...

just found your blog from Seth's, fabulous hand stamps! wow is all I can say...