Friday, November 6, 2009

New and Improved



New stamp designs - all ©09 Evertson

Signs, symbols, letters, numbers, pictographs, glyphs, runes, hieroglyphics, etc; I spent the past week primarily on my Hand ᔓtamp project. there are possibilities in this work that goes beyond my original thought of a seal or chop. As shorthand picture or idea stamps, I see that they form tiny addenda or tangents somewhat similar to the way a traditional oriental chop may work to express an ideogram that completes a subject. In the sketchbook they seem to run in series of word or picture associations. Three letter words: WOW, HOW, NOW. Four letter words: VERSO, EXIT. Magic squares to tic tack toe to checkerboards to see saws. CHAOS to ARTIFACT to moon with clouds. Free association on a small scale, similar to the way I deal with collage whether on the computer or cut and paste.
Probably the fundamental skill of artists in general is this associative ability and translation of the idea via the artist's media. Poets and musicians come to mind as well. In science there is the famous example of August Kekule discovering the structure of benzine after a dream of an ouroboros.


New stamp designs - all ©09 Evertson
Ouroboros: bottom middle

So for the time being I am continuing on the association path and letting the tangents travel as they will. Free association, automatic writing or chance. Perhaps a pattern will appear; or at least the appearance of pattern.
I tend to wake up with a few ideas and sketch them for later workup on the computer. I work the designs at 2x scale as the stamp bottom I'm working with is small, about an inch (2.5cm). The carving time depends on the design; from 30 minutes to over an hour. After the hand is carved I paint on a resin hardener before testing the design. When I'm satisfied with the design I apply more hardener to the hand's surface as well as coloring with pigmented wax and paint.


construction of box - clasp in foreground




Completed cork box for "initial" stamp - Evertson©09


I worked up a small box for one of my initial stamps (WᴹE)
using binders board covered with cork. I carved the small wooden clasp that is attached to the box with fine braided copper wire. The box is lined with felt. The box took so much longer to make than the handstamp contents it makes me wonder how the boxes that hold my traditional stamps are made. People working for pennies a day? The small clasp boxes are sometimes quite the works of art in themselves. I'm still working on the overall concept of where this project is going but after working on the box I've decided they could only be offered on a limited basis. (if..if..if)

Around the World Mail Art

Artist and photographer Ginny Lloyd sent a postcard based on a selection from her book GINA LOTTA POST. Ginny is involved with mail art, visual poetry, artist books and artistamps among a host of other activities. Plus she's about to move to Jupiter. (Florida)


Ginny Lloyd - "Homage to Poland"

From Luxembourg, artist Branka Djordjevic′ sent a small painting from her "Little Pieces" series. The series was begun in 2000; this example is painted on paper and mounted to mat board. Very lush and textured.

Branka Djordjevic′ - "Little Pieces"

Many thanks for the art surprises in my mail!!

11 comments:

jafabrit said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your stamps. Are you selling any? I LOVE them. I love what you are doing with them, I LOVE them.

Art said...

Wow, the stamps look great. You could do a million things with them- exciting.

Jennifer Kosharek said...

I am so impressed by your work!

William Evertson said...

Thanks all - I've been getting good feedback on this project and am trying to figure out the best way to sell. Feel free to email advice. They (the imprints) are also bound to show up in collage/visual poetry work I'm planning.

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

O I love them too! I can see how this could evolve and take a place within the other pieces you make, I'm curious to see which pattern will emerge ;) I love the 'simplicity' of the 'prints'-that's some impressive carving!-by which they're very clear&telling images. Actually because of that, they remind me of Banksy in a way: his graffiti-images are crystal clear also&he uses cut-out template/stencils, he has to be fast ;) I enjoyed reading how you go/went about technically! I'm in love with the little feet ;)

William Evertson said...

The little feet came out well. I was thinking that the feet are common in both Buddhism and Hindu; of course you could also read travel or journey into them. Sometimes the little designs carry a lot of baggage. Honored to be compared to Banksy:)

jafabrit said...

I'm in love with the little mouse :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

Bill these are so great.. I can see you are having fun with it.. one idea leads to another then it starts to explode and it is hard to turn off..
I just love it!!!

you are carving right into the hardened hands.. at first I thought maybe you were attaching a linocut... is the material difficult or does it chip ... how does it feel when you carve into it.. do you have to be particularly careful...

Your designs are fabulous!!!

William Evertson said...

Hi Gwen..the hands are plaster casts so they are easily carved; when done I apply a hardener to ensure they are rock hard for stamping. Unlike a rubber stamp they do tend to work better on a forgiving surface.

Owen said...

Hey Bill, loved your comment about belt-tightening and then cutbacks !

These stamp designs are cool, I have a stamp with a toad design on it, but as I never send paper letters anymore, I never use it... the times they are a'changin'...

Looks like all sorts of things are percolating with you, which is great !

William Evertson said...

Thanks Owen, Stamps are popular in the mail art world. Most of the mail artists I know also are not using the mail so much for traditional correspondence as much as a medium unto itself.