Friday, March 5, 2010

In the Studio


_Verso of A Million Little Choices artist book _ ©evertson2010

_After getting a look at my A Million Little Choices at 303 Grand St. during the Sketchbook Library opening, I decided that I really should make a hardcover version of it. That's what sketchbooks are; sketches for some future work or a nascent idea in need of development. This sketchbook being another tangent in the context of choice and identity that I've been working on deserved a face lift. The sketchbook version is accordion folded but only worked on one side.


Cover plus view of both front and rear _ ©evertson2010

_The images are readable either forward or back to construct a "journey" narrative as various tic tac toe grids are encountered. For the verso I started with some night photography of Times Square signage. Working with the negatives of these photographs, I constructed a 90" collage of the logos and signs that are part of the night world of NYC that scream "buy... choose!" In the context of our lives and choices; we're confronted with many choices that are subtle yet far reaching; a partner, a religion, a politic, a career, compassion or indifference. Yet, the world is presenting an elevated sense of essentially consumer choice in a way that competes as an agenda. The original sketchbook lacked an image for the back cover, so I created a small collage to compliment the more simple premise of the front. Now my book reads forward and back and front to rear.


Kali vs Time _ artist game box _ ©evertson2010

_My other project this week was a new game box. This one titled Kali vs Time contains the same elements as my Ox and O's box: the hand stamps, grids, instructions, and various collages. The box is handmade using standard bookbinding techniques. I do create unique collages to line each box; each forming a commentary (both visual and literal) concerning the "choices" I've presented in the game. Here the exploration concerns the Hindu goddess Kali and her manifestation as a devourer of time.


Interior of Kali box _ ©evertson2010

The stamps themselves are cast plaster that have images carved on the bottoms. The stamped images are visible in the left and right compartments. Kali is simply carved as a wild visage grasping a spiral. The "time" piece is a simple hourglass.

This picture to the right shows the copper mesh cradles I make to support the hand stamps in the box. These are formed over the same cast iron mold I use to make the blank hands. The mesh is flexible but holds its shape well enough for this use. I simply cut the cradles slightly oversize and friction fit them in the compartments.
The photo to the right is the interior cover art.
A small face of Kali is visible on the lower right; devouring the wheel I hold.

©evertson2010

6 comments:

Debrina said...

I love the new game box! I also like the mesh frames, Bill! I never get bored when I come and visit you...there is always something new and exciting going on!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Such beautiful and original work. Really lovely, Bill! I've bookmarked this site:-)

(I deleted my previous comment because it was only half written and I hit post! lol)

jafabrit said...

The whole contrection, the box, everything is just exquisite Bill. You have been on quite a journey and taking us all along too.

Lynne with an e said...

I believe you are a man of infinite patience. Or maybe an artist of infinite patience would be more apt, as I don't know you personally. But your attention to detail in all the work I've seen on your blog is amazing; beautifully rendered and intelligently conceived.

William Evertson said...

@All - Thanks all for your support and comments. Plus your patience, because my ideas seem to take a long time to steep and percolate here.