Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rock Art



One of the art fascinations I have concerns rock art; whether petroglyphs
 pictographs, assemblages etc.  The idea of the artist working rock to
record, evoke magic or express is a powerful stimulation.  Mostly
we don't know the why of the creation; in many instances the artist 
and his/her culture has faded.  We are left with a mystery and speculation.
I decided to create my own petroglyph after taking some photos of rock
formations overlooking the Connecticut river.  I combined one of those 
images with a photo of old machinery that I reduced to line drawings.
I hope there is some magic in deciphering the image.  I printed this on
13x19 Canon Photo Pro paper.

10 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a great image!! you have created a modern day virtual petroglyph... Love the texture.. and that it looks so real!

jafabrit said...

That is really really cool how you did that. I couldn't decipher the image but I had fun trying.

sandy said...

That is so cool!! Texture is great.

My grandfather was written up in the Kansas City Star way back in the 60's for his creations of rock animals...not quite as interesting as petroglyphs, etc., but fun to see.

Mineke Reinders said...

Magical and mysterious... a great creation! You could have fooled me :) I never would have guessed the petroglyphs were old machinery.

William Evertson said...

Thanks for the comments. One of my very early posts commented on the fact that in in the 70's we had documented pictographs that we couldn't find in the 90's - this was in Central America. The indifferent way that the art of indigenous culture's is preserved is painful to me. Too much tourism not much preservation.

Unknown said...

Love this- you really gave us some art to contemplate here!

Nader Shenouda said...

Great petroglyph, great texture..I love it, well done

jafabrit said...

I was amazed at the petroglyphs that dated back to the 1100's in Valley of Fire National Park we visited a couple of months ago. I understand your comments about the indifference :(

Unknown said...

I saw my brother today and he shared how much he enjoys your blog. He's not a commenter but I bet he will be soon.I helped him set up his own blog today.

ArtPropelled said...

I love this image!