Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Letterpress


I've been taking an art course. A three week intensive starting 
last Monday. Robin Price is instructing and the course concerns
constructing artist books. We are also working with chance 
operations, think John Cage. Old fashioned letterpress
with plenty of quirks. Midway through the second week. I
have to admit that learning the fundamentals takes a bit, but 
the results are not only a feast for the eyes but a feast for touch.
For those of you coming of late to this blog, I have a master of 
arts but love to continue my learning curve at Wesleyan
University, because of the caliber of visiting professors.
Plus in the world of art why not think of ourselves as
beginners? We get stuck when we are too wrapped up in
our own world. Robin's course is breaking down that thinking
by requiring us to work not only in collaboration but with
chance as well. The pix above is a section of a cover I'm working
on for a series of cards that six of us have collaborated on.  More 
to follow on the unique world of artist books.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So true what you say about getting wrapped up in our own world.
Today I will become a beginner!
Looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

jafabrit said...

I still feel like an art baby, so I agree about always learning. This class sounds like it is energizing and I am liking the results.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Must feel wonderful to indulge yourself into something this intensely.. I am very excited to see what you chance brings...
All the best in the exploration... have Fun!!

William Evertson said...

Thanks everyone! I really am enjoying the collaborative and chance elements of this class. I'll publish some results soon. As artists we sometimes over-think our work and the addition of chance operations adds a vitality.

sandy said...

Fascinating read and I like what you wrote.

s

Victoria Cummings said...

Bill, I totally embrace the idea of becoming a beginner. You will stay young at heart and grow wiser. Let me never be an "expert" at anything. Your new venture looks really fun!