Thursday, May 7, 2009

Not the End of the World?


Total desk confusion

There is nothing like a hard drive failure to cause one
to evaluate life's priorities. I awoke Monday morning
to a giant blinking question mark on the computer
screen. I tried everything; mouth to mouth, chest
compressions, those electric paddle things and the
calls to tech support to some guy in a hut on the other
side of the planet. Finally the long drives to first one
Apple store (your hard drive is dead, but we're closing
for two weeks of renovations) then another (they got it
done by Wednesday night). I tried to fill my grief by
dragging an old iMac out of the closet but it was sooo
old and tired. Luckily I had my art backed up as well
as most of my writing. I did lose two years of photographs
and all my tunes. My next purchase? Forget that stupid
blinking check engine light, I need a second hard drive
and auto back up software. You just have to get your
priorities right ;)

7 comments:

RosieK said...

Oh I am so with you on this Bill - what a catastropic event to wake up to - the same thing happened to me a few months ago - an electrical surge I was told and I tell you I nearly had one myself! Back up is vital - to lose 2 years photos is tragic! I loved the humor in your post at a time when you were being sorely tested!

William Evertson said...

It's all an act; my forehead is black and blue from beating my head against the wall ;) because I just know somewhere on that hard drive was the masterpiece that was sure to catapult me to American Idolish fawning adoration.

Art said...

Oh no, not the end of the world, but what a pain in the arse. And losing the photos is terrible...I'm going to back up my computer when I get home

Owen said...

We had a massive lightning bolt strike in our back yard a while back, the surge killed the power supply in my PC, but oh so luckily the hard drive could be salvaged... ever since I have two external hard drives, and am thinking about getting a third one for a safe deposit box... I would be devastated if I lost my photos and writings... So, to whoever may read this... back your work up today, more than once is preferable...

PS Maybe one of the witches you were researching just got her revenge ? Or maybe not...

William Evertson said...

I'm with you Owen-I've got a auto backup system running now and this weekend I'm shopping for another external drive to back up the back ups. I do have a witch suspect. I think it is our dog. She's an elderly female and seems to be staring at me every time something messes up. What are the chances she just wants a cookie?

Owen said...

Bill, I think you are MUCH safer assuming she just wants a cookie ! LOL !

Mineke Reinders said...

Ah, that's terrible. So sorry about your photos. I'm glad to hear you've got an external hard drive now. That was my first purchase after my laptop had a near-death experience last summer - I lost a lot of things too, though not as much as you. My sympathy.