Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pots and Kettles



The great thing about a few days vacation is the opportunity 
to collect some new photos.  Our trip to Block Island provided
that chance.  The picture I worked on today started as a nice 
little shot taken on one of the beaches.  We found this little
beach called Pots and Kettles.  Over in Photoshop I played
with various filters, blending modes and the unsharp mask.
For the last several months the theme of my digital work is 
to create an 'hyper real' look to my photographs.  Hopefully
it takes a second look to to realize there is something
'odd' to the photo.  


7 comments:

laura said...

Great photo! I love the composition, the high contrast and (at least on my monitor!) the subtle graininess it produces.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Now that is a gorgeous spot of nature.. What a wonderful spot to spend some downtime.

The intensity you made happen to your photograph really compliments the rugged beauty of the "pots and kettles" beach front.

You must have found it hard to leave! gwen

sandy said...

I think this is beautiful. On my monitor just the rusts and touches of blue stand out and it does have an unreal sort of feel to it, ...somewhat like another planet's terrain.. very cool Bill.

Unknown said...

I keep going back to this for a gut reaction and I have to agree with Sandy- the notion of another planet keeps popping up. I've been there. I love BI!

jafabrit said...

what a great name for a beach, wonder how they came up with it lol! I saw a town in Utah called Truth and Consequence. I love looking at the map and all the interesting names.

Like what you did with the photograph , but also the composition and angle is great to start with.

William Evertson said...

Thanks for the input - everyone! Laura picked up on my contrast modifications. Sandy and Teri seem to like the another planet implication. That is great, I'm trying to get that feeling with the series of digital I've been working over the winter and spring. Plus Gwen nails it concerning hard to leave! It's so hard to say good by to a great muse. We spent a couple of hours on this beach and the one thing that kept coming into my head was 'perhaps I should be knitting something to put on this driftwood'- thanks Jafabrit.- I think.

jafabrit said...

Knitting for driftwood, LOL! I rather think I like that.