Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bamboo



I have some antique journals that seem to record financial
transactions.  I've been taking scans of them, then
 combining them with other images in Photoshop.  For the 
most part I've combined them with other scanned objects 
or photographs.  In this instance, I reversed the image,
printed it in on rice paper.  I flipped the paper
and did a quick bamboo sketch.  The numbers and letters
are readable from the front side, faintly behind the bamboo.
When I view oriental scrolls, I am taken with the beautiful
 calligraphy that often make up part of the composition.
I suppose I was trying to re-create the flowing "grass
style" of Japanese calligraphy I am so drawn to.  This
image is 11.5 x 14.5.


9 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

This is really wonderful, Bill! What an interesting juxtaposition this is, the natural form of the bamboo resting so comfortably on top of those financial records. Great idea, and beautifully done!

Unknown said...

I never would have imagined that you could merge your two diciplines. Your digital self and your sumi e self seem worlds apart. Now... not so much. Well done!

sandy said...

Bill. This is so beautiful!! So delicate looking. I love it.

sandy

laura said...

Mineke took the words off my keyboard; the juxtaposition is wonderful--the background draws your attention, but not too much. And I love the bamboo (my favorite of the Four Gentlemen), eps. the stalks. (PS Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one of my favorite books too! Did you read Lila?)

William Evertson said...

Thank you Mineke- I respect command of your media. Teri - Thanks, because I've been trying to figure this out for years. Sandy - Thanks for your comment, I always love your photos, very inspirational. Laura - I know you have ink experience, so your comment means much. I think I should revisit Lila - it's been too many years and probably I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Karen and I are going to Block island later this month for a few days and I think I'll pick up Lila for a read.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Bill, This feels very sensitive and delicate...

Your talent has combined several elements and created a beautiful form of Simplicity .

Margaret Ann said...

Beautiful in its simplicity!

jafabrit said...

Bill for you I will accept a painting for the Chamberpot :) And if you wanted it returned I could strip it off the stretchers and send back to you in a tube if you figure out th cost.

jafabrit said...

This is a quick sketch, flipping eck, I wish I could do something as beautiful that quick. Your bamboo is wonderful and I like the way you incorporated the financial records, interesting.