Friday, April 11, 2008

Times Square



Ok - enough of the sumi-e.  Too easy to come up with a little 
sketch each post.  I want to throw something out there 
that I'm just beginning to experiment with.  Solarplates
are a light sensitive material bonded to a metal plate.
You can use these in a variety of ways, but I've been 
making some layers in photoshop and printing on acetate.
The acetate is placed on the solarplates and exposed to 
sunlight. Water is used to wash away unexposed areas.
The plates are inked and can be run through a regular
etching press or a lighter paper can be used with a pin press
or baren.  My "Subway Attire" print is 8" x 10.5" and 
printed with Akua Kolor pigments designed for 
Japanese style printmaking. 

5 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

now that is experimenting with a great idea... and you can print them too.. this sounds fun.
really love the detail and the various tones you captured.

sarahelizabeth said...

you won't believe this bill, but i'm actually working on a solarplate right now as well! that's too funny! well I absolutely love yours--it's very interesting!! and i'll definitely send you out a copy of my zine. thanks for your interest!

sandy said...

Wow, this is a great technique...I like this a lot. Like Gwen said, great tones..

jafabrit said...

That is a really cool technique. I really like the results, has an urban edge to it for me.

William Evertson said...

After spending 10 years in Manhattan, I believe It's still just a matter of luck. Did you know the right people? My situation was not simple. I had some connected friends that died: suicide, overdose and cancer. Karen and I fled NYC. I didn't return to art for many years. Jafabrit's comment on urban edge brings me to Sarah's last post - Art can transform!