Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Applause

Right Handed Applause (©2009)

What keeps artists going? It certainly isn't the money,
fame and glamour. Why do we make art? Matthew Rose
(he's organizing the "A Book About Death" exhibit) claims
that "I like the hours". Certainly about the best
explanation I've ever heard. I'd wager most of us
somehow just knew at some point that making art is
just something we do. Probably something most of us
wouldn't give up even if we were offered that 'real job'
that our relatives or friends may sometimes suggest we
find. Instead we struggle after working the unreal job
to find the hours necessary for the 'work' of art. So why
make art? Well - somebody has to do it.

4 comments:

Owen said...

Hello from out of the blue in the blogosphere... got to your blog via Laurie's in the UK, and like what you're doing here, will certainly be back... your rogue duck is great. Have a friend near Philadelphia who was doing a thing called Fup Duck Productions, until he realized that someone else had already used the name... anyway, your rogue looks like one Fup Duck Duck for sure. Like you Chrysler hub cap to, did a post a little way back about a similar DeSoto hubcap. Cheers, Owen

William Evertson said...

Thanks for the visit Owen - always nice to hear from France. I spent a while on your site and found some nice content, I'll set up a link :)

Owen said...

Am doing likewise... linking... saw in your profile where it says Grateful Dead among your interests ; there is some Dead related material further back in my blog. Did you see the NYTimes interactive Dead article last week, readers were uploading photos ? I put about 7 photos on there... lots of fun ! Will be back soon (to your site I mean):D

William Evertson said...

Actually I don't think I have any music specific posts. I did get out to see Phil Lesh and Friends a while back.