Friday, April 17, 2009

Best Face Forward

Thailand - Cast Buddha head (collection of the artist)

My last couple of posts have touched on my belief in
ignoring group think (ie friends and family) when it
comes to what goes into your art. Unless, of course, it
is a collaboration. I also believe we are more likely
to be inspired when we spend more hours making
art. An artist waiting for inspiration to hit is a
musician that doesn't practice. Our work is our face
to the world.

Pond - Photocollage by Ian Evertson

I'm backing into a topic that was inspired by an e-mail
exchange (cousin of a friend) concerning whether
attending Berklee College of Music would give their
son a fallback career. Our son attended Berklee and
she wanted the 411 for their college decisions. The
short answer is yes they do, they offer many music
career paths. But my long answer concerned commitment
because like the visual arts, music takes talent, luck and
work, work and more work. No school can prepare you
for an arts career. I hope I didn't put nails in the kids
music coffin. Our son is doing just fine because Berklee
didn't kill his dreams. He works hard at his "other job"
but has a lifetime ahead to work even harder on those
dreams. If you have interests in photography, music
reviews, slam poetry and zombie sightings check out
our son Ian's new blog. It can be a tough road with an artist
father but at least his mom is a mental health professional.

7 comments:

jafabrit said...

I agree about the group think, and about inspiration. I create because I need to regardless. Some use language to express themselves and I use art.

Victoria Cummings said...

You're so right about the advice you gave. I think that persistence and patience are two characteristics that are rarely attributed to artists, but if you look at most of those who are famous you'll find that they have those traits. My stepson is following the same winding path that your son is, and we're very proud that he is honoring his dream.

On a different note, when you commented on my blog that Cleo has been on pred for a year, that gave me heart - what is the dosage you give her? Is it every day or every other day and do you do anything to help her digestion? I really love these brave sweet doggos who just want to keep living forever.

Philip said...

I agree with Jafabrit. I prefer art to words although I enjoy both. I paint because I just have to.

Like your son's photo collage!

William Evertson said...

Hi Corrine, for some of us the most nuanced language is our art.
I agree Victoria, many times viewing art in isolation blinds us to the persistence and journey. I e-mailed our info on predisone. I hope Pepper gets her pepper back soon.

William Evertson said...

Thanks Philip - I enjoyed seeing your new work!

laura said...

Love the Buddha head, and your collage too--very springlike.
In my mother's family the question always was, Can you eat it? They though my going to college was a waste of time; I'd just get married ... (Turns out I didn't and have had to support myself, so it's a good thing I went!)
I think it's so important to have something you do and love, whether you make your living at it or not.
I see so many young people who seems to be only concerned with "getting"; I worry how they'll be able to survive life without some love to nurture their sense of self.

William Evertson said...

So well put Laura! Oops - you might have missed that the collage is by my son Ian ;) I probably shouldn't show his art, sometimes it makes mine look bad. Wish he would stick to music!