Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wheel


Construction of Wheel



Wheel is derived from several photos and scans.  A self 
portrait with a water wheel, a small stone disc, goat
pelt, leather and a bamboo fence.

Wheel

The common thread concerns my uncle Jack, who passed 
away several years ago.  Jack spent his working years 
employed by Aramco, in Saudi Arabia.  His estate 
contained many oddities.  Except for the bamboo fence photo
all the elements were things I found in his house
after he passed.

Jack

This is part of a primitive pulley.  Crude but honestly 
constructed by nomadic bedouin tribesmen.  This object 
is used to pull water from wells.
  
Newspaper Photo 

Jack had a newspaper clipping showing it's use.  Otherwise
it would be hard to imagine what use the object would have.

Disc

This disc is more mysterious; carved stone, it is about five inches 
across.  It is covered with geometric design and writings.  I am
not sure whether it is a tourist item or has more significance. 
Otherwise; the goat hides and tanned leather were just tucked 
away on the back of  a shelf.

2 comments:

Victoria Cummings said...

Bill - This is wonderful - I also really enjoy seeing all your other work. It takes great courage to show the world what's "under construction". Thanks for visiting me and leaving such kind and insightful comments. I'll be back here to see you soon!

William Evertson said...

victoria's site is also located in my favorites under 'Horse Wisdom' Naming a site Under Construction was problematic with my son and a few friends as it usually implies a downed site. I went forward because so much of my art is continually under construction. I use and reuse recycled images and place them in new context.