Sunday, March 30, 2008

Koi


Another of my reflection series.  Once again this features 
our koi.  Still experimenting with different filters, blend
modes and sharpening.  I've been trying the low angle
photo suggestion that Laura and Sarah  with 
some success.  I've also been trying different times of
day to get shafts of light illuminating the schooling
koi.  I printed it out at 10.5"x 14" on A3+ glossy paper.
My wife, Karen, thought the image blurry.  I think it is
due to the rippling of the water and kind of like the way
it gets blurry the closer you view it.  Kind of like the way 
a Seurat dissolves into points of color. 

6 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow what a difference the time of day and angle make... love it...

Unknown said...

So many variables that can change this image in an instant- a passing cloud, a puff of wind. And of course, the koi are already in motion. Must take a lot of shots to get one as pleasing as this one. I posted a reflection shot for you on my "different view" blog. Much easier subject.

ysartist said...

I thought this was a watercolour when I first saw it. It has such a delicate quality to it.

I saw a fantastic reflection photo in a show recently, fantastic because I couldn't tell what it was. It just so happened the photographer was in the gallery and explained it to us.

I think this is a wonderful photo because I feel it transgresses being a photo.

sandy said...

This looks so abstracty, I love it.

sandy

laura said...

It's beautiful--the ripples, the color, the composition. And I have to laugh at my nerve giving you photography suggestions; you should see the horrendous photos I take ... but I guess I learned a little something trying underwater photography in the VI. Teri has a good point about the (infinite) variables: this is a passing moment caught.

William Evertson said...

Thank you all for comments. Ysartist -I'm wondering if you are FelineDeb - if so thanks for visiting as I believe you and Corrine have put Yellow Springs on the art map. Laura - it was your (and Corrine's) suggestion that put me on my belly, trying to capture an initial image- Thanks Thanks also to Teri who always pushes me.