Saturday, March 28, 2009

Look Ma, It's a Chrysler



Chrysler Hubcap

Life is good! I got my hubcap for the Landfillarts project. Be sure to
check out the artist gallery-164 images to date. I didn't see Jafabrits
hubcap posted yet; you'll have to check out her blog to see her art
reclamation. Ken Marquis, the organizer of Landfillart hopes to
find 1000 artists to reclaim hubcaps for art. Ken's goal is to use
any profits from the project to fund reforestation through
Carbonfund.org. Now to the drawing board or shop.



Dad's truck and shop

My father left dust bowl Nebraska, moved east and started
an auto body shop. Long before I knew what art was I was
welding old auto pieces into creations. I shouldered plenty
of chiding from my dad and his brothers. Generally it was
along the lines of if spent as much time on my trade as I did
on junk I might make something of myself. Lol, I think they
may be looking down and probably haven't changed their
minds. Notice our phone number was 38M.

Thanks to Mineke Reinders for the "I Care" keepsake. Mineke
publishes her breathtaking watercolors as well as song and
poetry on an almost daily basis.

6 comments:

jafabrit said...

38M, that was it! lol! What a great old photo. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours. It's a great project.

I had to stare at mine for a while before I could figure out how to use the shape to my advantage.

William Evertson said...

I know! I thought I had an idea but the shape may make me rethink a bit.

Victoria Cummings said...

This is a great project - can't wait to see what you do! When my daughter was still in my tummy, we decided my belly was about as big as a hubcap. We started joking that she would be a great blues player and nicknamed her "Hubcap". It stuck for a while, but now at 13, she's really glad that we've let it drop.

William Evertson said...

Thanks for dropping by Victoria. I totally agree with the motto of the Carbon Fund to reduce what you can and offset what you can't. I'd like to think as artists we can educate with our creations. Plus who knows, your daughter may name her blues group the Hubcaps.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Great old truck... So your dad had tools available for your to play with... That welding has led you down a very creative road... never know do we?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool project! Also--loved the story that sprung from the 'a book about death' project. Looks like you're on a roll!