Saturday, July 12, 2008

Page 2


Like so many posts, I try to examine the technique and the why of what 
I'm doing. I think that trying to describe making an artist book is next 
to impossible. You need to have personal contact to make any sense of 
it. This is page two. This is a collaboration of six people. Six people 
who are embracing chance in the creation of these books. 6 decide on
quotes derived from random books; 6 decide on images available at 
Wesleyan (via Robin, our tour guide) and 6 print four folios.  The four 
folios give us 16 possible pages to customize. Now bear in mind we have
 to learn a new measurement system and the upside down of the press.
We need to learn the art of the press. The machine that impresses our 
work. I think each one may have a unique temperament.  I did have the 
pleasure of setting type for the opening and the pleasure of inking and 
running the second page. I promise that the images will appear soon.

 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm over my frustration and beginning to enjoy the suspense. But as you guessed- I'm anxious for the images.
Please explain "chance".

William Evertson said...

Chance is the topic of this artist book. So chance operations are used to determine almost everything about it. What do we call it, the lay out, what images, what quotes. Operating very much like John Cage. Actually I can't wait to slowly unveil this on the blog and have you take a look at the book.

sarahelizabeth said...

ooh...i love artists books. you must be having so much fun with this. looks great! are you hand-binding them?

William Evertson said...

Oh Sarah - I hope you see this - yes hand binding and there are so many possibilities it's blowing my mind. i chose a five stitch, but am disguising the end with my binding technique.

jafabrit said...

I love the collaborative aspect of this and the quotes (how they came to be included and the actual quotes).

William Evertson said...

thanks Corrine- The combination of a couple of art and 4 non art people set the stage for the math (prime numbers etc) Nothing like getting the fifth grade explanation of fractuals or why the mystery of prime will be solved.

William Evertson said...

Sarah - i didn't answer about the binding but yes we are experimenting with several methods. My version is hand stitched, but the stitching is hidden in the binding method.