Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Weaving the Universe

Ixchel figurine, 600- 900 AD

Thanks for the positive feedback on Karen's weaving.  I think weaving
is a fundamental art.  Food, shelter clothing.  Weaving crosses cultures
as an art necessary for survival.  Fabric arts in general, go under the radar in 
the examination of a culture's art.  Both Karen and I have been 
influenced by Mayan women who have codified traditional religious
belief into their fabric.  Since the conquest, various aspects of their
belief systems evolved into geometric equivalent to prevent detection. 
An early protest movement, mounted by women, against an occupation.  
 There is a tradition in  Mayan studies that place the goddess Ixchel, not only 
a  moon/ fertility goddess, but as the  weaving goddess.  Weaving the fabric 
of the universe.   Color, structure and patience.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying your blog. With each post I learn something new about my friends and well...other cool stuff. Maybe someday I will add words to mine. Then again, probably not.

William Evertson said...

Thanks - lately as I've been searching out other artists who blog I've found some other great photographs. Still I especially enjoy the blogs that talk about their passion. When I find those rare gems I try to share in My Favorites. You describe yourself as a graphic artist, I think of you as an artist first. I think adding commentary is going to push you. Want any pushing?

Victoria Cummings said...

Bill - Please come visit my blog so you can pick up your award.

Trée said...

Bill, thanks to Victoria and her award, I've discovered your fascinating blog. I love discovering someone producing something unique, something that makes me sit up and look. You're doing very good stuff here.

laura said...

What a beautiful statue: it's wonderful to see this ancient figure engaged in an act of artmaking that we (well, not me, but we humans) engage in today--it makes him seem so close to us, and vice versa.