Monday, March 17, 2008

Old Reflection


I was out today to photograph some new reflections for a
series of digital art I'm working on but decided to shoot
a few shots of a sculpture I did years ago.  A small piece,
not quite three foot square.  I have it perched on a
protruding piece of ledge in our back yard.  If not for 
the ledge I'm sure it would be sinking to the center of 
the earth due to it's weight.  It consists of two interlocking
welded steel pieces best described as three dimensional
horseshoes.  Six cast aluminum wedges driven in the center
hold the two steel plates and five cast lead plates at each
end.  A piece that is held together by it's own internal tension.
Much like myself.  Call it a self portrait. 

7 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

"A piece that is held together by it's own internal tension.Much like myself. Call it a self portrait."

I love this description... it conjures up most artists state of being!

sandy said...

Cool sculpture.

wow.

sandy

laura said...

I can't imagine how you put this together. Do you have superhuman strength or extra-long arms? I love the simile too; and the positive spin it puts on "internal tension," which, if I have thought about it, I probably would have thought of as a destructive force! (No doubt that's just a kneejerk reaction to the word "tension.")

William Evertson said...

Gwen - great insight. Sandy - thanks for visiting - if I were to link to you, which blog would your prefer? Laura -The piece is demanding to assemble; I did have to move it this past year. All the time I was thinking how could I have become this old - I thought I was in shape but trying to lift and place components made me realize it' much harder at 50+ to do what I did at 30.

Unknown said...

I sat here for a few moments just staring at your work and then with a little bit of added imagination I then saw that I could just give it one little gentle push just to watch it swirl around and around.

Even though I know it is stationary, but yet your work allowed me to go play with it.

Thank you allowing me to used my imagination with your art! :)

sarahelizabeth said...

i really enjoy your sculpture

sandy said...

Oh..just saw your comment.

YOu can link my main Dusty blog

http://dustyducktales.blogspot.com

because my other blogs are linked on there.

Thanks Bill.